Every sunrise marks a new beginning. Waking up and starting our morning by reading a Newspaper or Magazine or using Social Media on our Mobile Phones, along with sipping our daily dose of caffeine has become an everyday ritual. Isn’t it? A shift to a modern lifestyle has changed the very bit of us, starting from the colour of our nail paints to our mental and physical outlooks, the choices we make in walks of life and even our hair and skin-care routine to the diet we consume. Which perhaps is one of the most prompt reasons for an increase in advertising in the print media, statistically speaking, saw a rise of 39% in 2021, out of which the Beauty Category alone, comprised 7.6% of the fall, highlighting and reminding us every day about its importance and the glimpse of the variety, the market is flourished with. As has been wonderfully quoted, “Beauty is the spirit, but Make-up is an art.” Wrongly stereotyped as a medium to hide oneself, but truly a jewellery, to enhance one’s natural beauty and characteristics. Beauty has the power to boost aspirations and passion, thus becoming a non-stealable asset to achieve our dream and make us confident enough to be unstoppable. Now, while Beauty and Make-Up are just that crucial in the modern world, and we are utilising the potential of its magic, on the other hand, why are we not utilising the potential of the most unsung hero of the make-up, the FACE PRIMER?
A cosmetic face primer is a cream that is applied before any other cosmetic product to improve the coverage and lengthen the amount of duration of the make-up to last on your face. In previous times, Foundation was regarded as the base of the makeup. But as time flew by, people experienced a need for a product that creates a smoother base and extends the life of the overall make-up and even works as a mask against major concerns ranging from oiliness to dryness, fine lines to pimples. And henceforth, it has now been emphasised on using Face Primer before any foundation and has become one of the most crucial steps to set the makeup on point, offering a long-lasting radiance and concealing fine lines.
Why: Face Primer
- It acts as a protective layer between the skin and the foundation so that the chances of having any breakouts can be reduced and to minimise the long-term side-effects of using synthetic-based make-up.
- Foundation has been seen to become dull on the skin after a few hours, and henceforth a basic coat of primer helps in preventing it from happening, giving skin a long-lasting radiance.
- It helps make the surface of the skin smoother, helping the overall makeup to glide on the skin with minimal effort and blending super well.
- It seals the sensitive top layer of the face and thus protects it from the damage that harsh makeup products can cause.
- It is a wonderful absorber of excess oil produced on the face of people having oily skin or even for people with normal skin during the summertime, preventing make-up from slipping away.
- It is generally believed and seen that Primer gives your face a filter-like finish that even artificial intelligence-based beauty effects cannot; by reducing the appearance of the pores and pigmentation, and also taking away the aged look out of your skin.
- It also works by adding a layer of concealer, helping people have light marks on the skin and highlighting their overall radiance.
Guide: Types of Primers
The game-changer product of the make-up, Face Primer, is a must-use. But as the market is full of different types and we have different requirements, here is a basic guide to help you choose the best for you!
- Illuminating Primer: This variety contains very light, shimmer, particles, and helps add glow to the face and can even be worn while having a natural no-makeup look. It does a similar job as is done by a silicon primer. It is also fit, by adding more shine to special occasions and events.
- Matte Primer: This variety is a Christian Soul, to people having oily skin. It imparts a mattifying effect and ensures that it remains for several hours and does not melt, also helping to blur the pores, smoothly, fine lines and helping the foundation stay in place and evens out the skin texture.
- Hydrating Primer: This variety, on the other hand, is a boon for people having dry skin or suffering dehydration, by adding layers of moisturiser to the skin and making it look fresh. It is also known as an oil-based primer, as it is formulated using oils that help nourishes the skin, yeah, leaving no dry patches.
- Colour Correcting Primer: This variety helps combat the underlying skin tones. People having dark circles or pigmentation can opt for this type, to neutralise the undertone and correct them. For instance, a green colour, and correcting primer help cancel the redness on the face.
- Pore Minimising Primer: This variety is very much suitable for people having large pores, especially on their nose or the surrounding areas and is a soul-safe act for those having uneven skin. It helps give effective covers and minimises the appearance of flaws.
- Gel-Based Primer: This variety is the most commonly available and is suitable for all skin types. And even for people having sensitive skin, it works the best and helps in easy application and gives a smooth base.
- Cream-Based Primer: This variety is for the ones looking for a rush-free, easy-to-apply primer, which is based on a cream formula and helps in moisturising the skin and keeping it soft and supple.
- Anti-Ageing Primer: This variety gives an add-on-advantage, to the already anti-ageing formula of the primer. It contains vitamins, essential fatty acids and antioxidants, making the skin look young and healthy and obviously, most useful for older women.
Can using Face Primer replace Skin-Care Routine?
Honestly speaking, although a Primer may have moisturizing and anti-UV-rays agents in its ingredients list, it is still highly advisable and crucial to continue the application of a small amount of your skin-care moisturizer for extra hydration before applying the makeup. Once one will see the effect of using Primer, on the overall makeup, it will become irreplaceable and unavoidable. But, it is also important to keep in mind that Skin-Care will affect the visibility of any product that is placed over it. Face Primer does have a rich effect on make-up but it can never replace Skin-Care products. Skin repairs and heals itself through the night, so this would mean that one must carry using the products that suit them and help them heal and never underestimate the power of a cleanser, toner, moisturiser, eye cream and SPF.
Resolving the Confusion : Primer v/s Foundation v/s BB Creams v/s CC Creams
Face Primer is a product applied on the face to create an ideal canvas to hold onto any make-up, that may be applied. It helps in brightening the skin, blurring the pores, keeping the makeup right in place, adding moisture and fading fine lines. Although some people swear by primers as the most crucial base product, others find it an unnecessary makeup step. Make-up Primers come in translucent and skin-toned types of formulas. Foundation, on the other hand, is a powder-based or liquid-based makeup product applied on the face to create a uniform and even tones. It is sometimes used to change the natural skin tone, cover flaws, moisturize, and even act as a sunscreen or base layer for other cosmetic products. Although it is commonly applied on the face, it can be applied to the body, in which case it is referred to as body makeup or body painting also. Generally, it is highly advised to start any make-up with a moisturiser, then a layer of Primer to act as a base and thereafter the Foundation. Now, taking a step further, when a Primer is added with colour, it is classified as a Beauty Balm or BB Cream and Colour Corrector or CC Cream. A beauty balm acts like a primer, with added subtle skin tone coverage under the make-up. A CC Cream is the same, but with added colour and correct tones. Each works to perfect the skin under the foundation to hydrate, refine pores, blur fine lines and control excess oil production. Providing an overall even and smoother face complexion. A Beauty Balm or BB Cream, with its subtle skin tone, will even one’s skin naturally underneath a sheer coverage foundation giving it an extra hold and longevity at the same time. It is a great product for those with pigmentation face but also does not wish to wear a higher coverage product. It is a lightweight and breathable cream that is a mix of moisturizer, SPF, primer, skin treatment, concealer and foundation. It is placed between a foundation and a moisturizer and has multiple benefits to the skin including improving the appearance of the skin, improving skin brightness and elasticity, fighting against premature ageing, moisturizing the skin and evening out the skin.
Talking about the Colour Corrector or CC Cream, it provides an addition to offering lighter coverage than a foundation, has extra anti-ageing properties and has a more airy texture compared to the thick and heavy texture of BB creams. CC cream is recommended for those having enlarged pores, redness or uneven texture.
When you’re in a rush and want to cover up your imperfections in the least amount of time, or you simply don’t want to wear too much make-up, it is advisable to instead of choosing a foundation, option for CC cream equipped with broad-spectrum SPF, and make use of its many added skincare benefits.
Steps: Application of Face Primer
Step 1: The very most essential step that many people forget, is choosing the right primer. Reading the reviews or getting influenced by the marketing agencies, and not choosing the right product according to your skin type and needs will only disappoint you, and make you blame Primer, as a product, for not giving you the desired results. Henceforth, it is crucial to evaluate one’s skin and decide if one needs an anti ageing primer or a colour, correcting primer, etc.
Step 2: Figuring out whether your skin is oily, dry or normal. This will help you to pick the right-based primer suitable for your skin type. Be it the Matte primer for oily skin or the Illuminating primer for dry skin.
Step 3: Once the right product is in your hands, to apply the Primer, all you need is clean fingertips. Always apply primer as the last step of your skincare routine and before
Step 4: Start by washing and cleaning your face and neck thoroughly. Wash your face with lukewarm water and use a gentle cleanser, thereafter exfoliate the skin with a gentle scrubber-based cream if required, and apply a light moisturizer. Allow it to absorb into your skin.
Step 5: Now, take a pea-size amount of make-up primer at the back of your hand, and apply it thoroughly. Dab it with your finger, using a very light patting motion and, spread it on your face with your fingertips, blending outwards from the nose. You can use a Make-up sponge too, but fingers will give the best results.
Step 6: Dab it properly and make sure that it doesn’t gather and pile up in one part of the face, and spread the primer bit by bit and section by section.
Step 7: Allow it to set well for a minute before applying other makeup products and you are good to go.
Even after being pushed on by beauty brands for so long, primer remains a mystery to many people. And the only purpose for writing this piece was to put an end to it. Hope the efforts reached the goal!