Long-lasting lip makeup highlights its staying power in the name, however not all lipstick formulas will perform the same. Long-wear lip color can take many forms. From liquid and crayons to long-lasting lip gloss. The traits these formulas tend to have in common are a high concentration of pigment, a matte to give a shiny finish, and a refined texture to avoid flaking.
There is a misconception that long-lasting lipstick formulas tend to dry out your lips or end up looking dull over time, but that should not be the case if you select the right formula.
Application tips to help lengthen your lipstick
When it comes to achieving the best long-lasting lipstick looks, technique plays a vital role in supporting well-formulated products. Adding a few simple tweaks to your lipstick application routine could help your color go the distance. Below are our top application tips for long-lasting lipsticks.
1. Use a quality lip balm regularly, not just right before you swipe on your lipstick. This will help keep your lips moisturized, getting rid of any dry, flaky skin to help in creating a smooth canvas for your lip color.
2. Set your boundaries with a lip liner before moving in with your lipstick. This is to stop the lipstick from bleeding or smudging outside your lips line as the hours go by.
3. Apply your lipstick over a thin layer of concealer. Only a little should be enough to form a base for your lip color.
4. Use a lipstick brush to work your lip color into your pout, making sure even distributed.
5. When you remove your lipstick, use a makeup remover to avoid agitating your lips.
How to select a long-lasting lipstick?
Finding a long-lasting lipstick can definitely be a challenge, especially if you want your lipstick to stay put for an all or all-night event. You may go for a long-lasting lipstick to wear at your wedding so your lips look perfect in all of your pictures or you may choose for long-lasting lipstick for an outdoor party you are hosting so your lipstick does not go away or smear all through the day. To look for an ideal long-lasting lipstick, you can do research for the most highly rated lipsticks with staying power and try them out yourself to look the best one for you. You can also learn how to apply the lipstick so it looks good and lasts for a longer time.
1. The first way is to search for long-lasting lipsticks online.
Search for the ones which are long-lasting. To help you narrow down the choices, you may focus your online search on lipsticks that are marketed as long-staying. These lipsticks will be designed to stay on for a long period of time, like 24 hours.
Check the details on the product to be sure it is advertised as long-lasting. Some may be marketed as 24-hour coverage. Many major beauty companies make lipsticks that are long-lasting. You may also search for long-lasting lipstick made by your favorite cosmetics brand or by a beauty company that you like, as you know their products already work for you.
Read online reviews before buying. You can also look for the best long-lasting lipsticks by reading reviews of the products. You may find a top ten list of the best ones on a beauty site or by a beauty blogger. You can also look at online retail beauty shops and read reviews of some of the lipsticks on their sites. You may look for various long-lasting lipsticks which have five stars or a high rating. And then compare them by price and check how much you can afford to spend on the lipsticks.
2. The second method is trying long-lasting lipsticks in person.
Talk to a salesperson at a makeup store. If you are more of a hands-on person, you may choose to go into makeup or a beauty store and try the lipsticks out for yourself. Ask a salesperson to help you find high-quality long-lasting lipstick. Discuss what shade you are looking for as well as how much-staying power you want the lipstick to have with the salesperson.
Do a test run of the lipstick. Depending on the policy of the makeup, you may be able to try the lipstick on your lips so you can if it is right for you. The salesperson may help you in applying the lipstick and allow you to walk around the store with it on. You must try on the lipstick in the color you want so you can see how it looks on you.
Buy various long-lasting lipsticks to try. If you are unable to decide which long-lasting lipstick is for you, you may choose to buy various lipstick to try. Get two lipsticks in the same shade from different brands, or try one lipstick and check if it works works well.
3. The third method is applying long-lasting lipstick.
Moisturize your lips before you apply the lipstick. Many long-lasting lipsticks can be drying on your lips due to the ingredients in them. To make sure your lips stay smooth and supple, moisturize them before you apply the lipstick. About an hour before you want to put on the lipstick, you can apply lip balm on your lips. By doing so, the lip balm will have time to dry up and hydrate your lips, preparing them for the lipstick. You must always apply lipstick on bare lips. Before you apply the lip balm, you may use a non-alcoholic makeup remover on your lips to get rid of any lingering color or pigment on your lips. You must remove any food or liquids which may be on your lips before you apply the lipstick.
Using a lip primer. Lip primer can be a good option to make sure your lipstick stays on as long as possible, even if it is a long-lasting formula. These primers can be worn under lipstick, lip gloss, or a lip pencil. It can help to keep your lipstick from feathering out or from coming off.
Trying a lip pencil. Using a lip pencil on your lips before you apply the lipstick can help the color to adhere to your lips better and appear more vibrant. Go for a lip pencil which is a lighter shade than the lipstick you are using. Rather than line your lips with the pencil, you must color your lips with the pencil, starting at the center of your lower lip, and then apply the lipstick on top of the lip pencil. Using this way, your lipstick must stay on your lips for a prolonged period of time. The lip pencil will make sure the color stays put especially if the lipstick is also a long-lasting formula.
Looking for a long-lasting smudge-proof lipstick which sticks all day is not as easy as it might sound. A year of mandated mask-wearing may have pushed brands to react with a host of smudge-proof fromulas, but many fall short of the mark when it comes to finishing and crucially comfort. The best one won’t settle into fine lines or prove so drying it leads lips to flake and crack. Today’s top options provide the best of both worlds, working to plump and hydrate while delivering a flattering veil of color which does not migrate onto your teeth. Keep your trust in one of the best long-wearing lipsticks out there and it will see you seamlessly from work to weekend and on those anticipated spring parties. So whether you need a bold red that will stick around through a dinner date or a nude for an everyday look, you are bound to choose the perfect bullet here.Below are a few long-lasting lipsticks to trust this season.
1. Best for liquid comfort GUCCI- Gucci’s beautiful liquid lipsticks are considered to be creamier than any other we have tried. Blending budge-proof longevity with true comfort. There is a shade to satisfy every whim, but the vivid postbox Goldie Red is the most classic one.
2. Best for volumizing L’Oreal Paris- L’Oreal’s recent lipstick launch is just outstanding. These are truly rare in that they merge velvet-matte color with a creamy, hydrating finish that skims over lines to make lips look smoothed and plumped. The result is a shine-free finish that does not quite lose a whole day but stays put for long enough. The price is also quite nominal.
3. Best for Vinyl Shine BYREDO- Lucia Pica’s first-ever creation for Byredo is here, and it is every bit as amazing as we have come to expect from the leading makeup artist. These colors feel more like a cream, combining the rich glossy pigment with a nourishing non-sticky finish. The spectrum of nudes is flattering yet feels fresh, except for rusty browns and terracotta tints in place of predictable pinks.
4. Best for the perfect red DIOR– This is designed with mask-wearing in mind, these liquid colors dry over the course of 15 minutes, forming a feather-light film over the lips which do not smudge or crack.
5. Best for hydration SISLEY PARIS- These creamy lipsticks are perfect for anyone who demands lasting hydration from their lip products. Highlights from the sprawling shade range include some cool-toned nudes- great for the very pale and some rich, vampish berries that will fit right in with your autumnal wardrobe.
6. Best for cool nudes ROSE INC- If you have struggled in the past to look for a nude which suits you, head to Roise Huntington-Whiteley’s wide-ranging offering. The cool, deep hues flatter every skin tone and the satin-matte finish lasts from day to night.
7. Best palette Westman Atelier- There is something unique about the formulation of Gucci Westman’s Lip Suede colors, they are intensely hydrating and ultra-comfortable yet give a soft, fuzzy-edged finish that does not slip and slide across your skin. This palette has four flattering shades which can be worn alone or blended to create a custom color. With jojoba and avocado oils- as well as skin-boosting peptides- this one truly ticks every box.
8. Best for giving HERME’S- The Hermes lipstick collection is something truly special. First, there is a glossy satisfyingly heavy magnetic case, which is designed to be kept and refilled continuously. Then, there is the unparalleled formula: matte, velvety, and yet somehow, perfectly comfortable. A single swipe delivers bold, outfit-defining color.
9. Best for withstanding anything Pat McGrath Labs- Industry legend Pat McGrath created long-lasting lipstick which does not dry lips into a flaky mess. These high-pigment liquid colors apply ultra-matte, yet don’t dry enough to become uncomfortable. There is an entire spectrum of seriously high-impact hues.
10. Best for a lightweight stain Victoria Beckham Beauty- Victoria Beckham’s water-based stain impresses in the pigment stakes while feeling undetectable on lips. The original Cherie shade deepens and defines your natural color, while the newer Je T’aime adds a face-brightening pop of coral.
11. Best for whiter teeth Fenty Beauty- Rihanna designed her lip paints to stay in place all night, without feathering, smudging, or losing all their vibrancy. What is more, this lip-defining red is designed to suit all skin tones, making teeth appear whiter without dulling anyone’s complexion.
12. Best for a matte finish Maybelline- This is available in flattering shades for all skin tones, this formula clings to your lips for longer wear and utilizes an arrow-shaped wand to make application easy. This super-matte finish is amazing for longevity but for the best results be sure your lips are hydrated with a good balm before you apply.